Everybody is busy in their own unique way. It seems we're a nation of busybodies running nonstop all day long. I too feel like I easily fall into this category. I've been told by a friend that I "multitask more than anybody" he knows. Another friend commented on Facebook that I was "hilariously busy." These things are true. I often talk about how many pots I have on the stove and it even amazes me to realize that. I keep busy in so many varied ways it does ring a bit hilarious.
So what do I do?
• I'm a film composer
• I'm a film editor
• I'm a copyist/arranger
• I'm a lecturer in film music at the University of Texas at Austin
• I'm producer and host of "Film Score Focus," an hour long weekly film music radio show on 89.5 KMFA
• I author liner notes for soundtrack albums
• I interview composers for various web sites
• I'm a film music journalist and soundtrack reviewer for various web sites
• I'm a blogger
• I'm a board member, Assistant Conductor, Artistic Advisor, and emcee for the Cinematic Symphony
• I'm director of the praise group and pianist at my church
• I'm a member of the International Film Music Critics Association
• I'm an assistant T-ball coach for my son's team
...and I'm also a husband and father of two boys.
The white board in my studio is getting impressively full. Here is where I chronicle all my goings on and keep track of what I have to do. Each one of these line items represents a task that is currently on my schedule. I only have so many hours in the day so I just try to knock out as many as I can before starts to grow quicker than it shrinks.
The priority for me (outside of my family) will always be composing. I'm glad I'm able to do so many extracurricular activities outside of composing. They all feed a different aspect of my passion for film music which together add up to fuel my desire to compose music for film. I never intended to gather so many "hobbies" on the path of my career but I can't help it. When a door opens, I have to go inside and take a look around.
You never know what you'll find waiting for you...